Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Happy Birthday to YOU

To my lovely boyfriend

When I asked you what kind of cake you wanted for your birthday, you very wisely said that there's no point making a cake that would be miles away and you wouldn't be able to taste it, and that it would make more sense to make something for people who could actually eat it.

I didn't forget, though you probably did, that I promised I would make something to feed those who really need it. I know you said I should probably make sandwiches or something instead, but cake makes everyone smile. So I made both; hot dogs and a beer-box chocolate cake.



And for your 24th birthday I fed 24 hungry stomachs for you.

Three were hungry little tummies on their way home from school, and whose next meal would only be later that evening. Another two belonged to a Zimbabwean mother and daughter who sell handmade crafts, and hadn't made any sales for days. You helped put a smile on the face of a little boy and his father, both had had flu and no appetite for days, until they saw the chocolate cake. You sent home food for the family of a man I've seen standing at the traffic lights all week, and who hasn't been able to find work for years. One hungry tummy could stop digging through the garbage for food. Another seven could continue their days hard work in the summer heat. A loving dad kept his cake for his daughter, as her reward for working hard at school.

Joba and his wife asked me to take this picture for you to thank you; today was the first meal they'd had in 2 days.


Zuleka, Sitha and Patience sang happy birthday to you in three languages.


These are only five faces, but there are nineteen other people a little happier today thanks. But I don't want to wait another year before the happiness can be spread again, so I'd like to ask everyone who reads this to please sponsor a lunch for someone today. It doesn't have to be gourmet, it doesn't even have to be home-made, just something to feed an empty stomach, a warm smile, and a little bit of time to talk can go a long way. Let's make everyone feel like today's their birthday. 

So my Cruickshanks, from me, and our 24 new friends, happy birthday! 
xxxxx

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You made my day Lauren....if all of us do something positive each day we can change the world....love you lots and see you in the EC!!!